Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sound Problem Solved


From Wired a while ago:

Clear Calls Amid Chaos

"I'm just settling in at a bar when I get a phone call from work. The football game is blaring, people are shouting, glasses are clinking- but I hit"answer" on my Bluetooth headset anyway. The [Motorola] HX1 completely eliminates the barroom ruckus, sending only my speech to my colleague. That's because I can turn off its ordinary microphones, which pick up sound from the air, and instead switch on an ultra-sensitive microphone that listens just for waves conducted through my jawbone. Parked on the earbud's inner tip, this specialized mic uses software to turn the smallest vibrations sent from my throat into a faithful reproduction of my voice. So my colleague can hear me, I can hear her and, best of all, she'll never know I was talking business over a martini."

The part about vocal re-synthesis is interesting, because that would farm quite a bit of data, eventually enabling convincingly real voices from scratch, allowing us to do things like hold conversations with simulated dead relatives or absent friends: how will she react to this? Lets just run a simulation based on the statistics I've collected about her personality, etc.
This will help fight the lonelification of modern life- just like we've chosen perpetual visual satisfaction/stimulation through hyper sexual ads, we'll probably choose perpetual aural satisfaction through automatically selected background music, perpetual oral satisfaction through miracle fruit tablets, and perpetual social satisfaction by having ghost friends and relatives around us at all times. You can see the seeds of this every time someone comes to you with a problem not looking for a solution, but just for the sake of telling someone. In the future, this might often be a simulated someone. Like the Splenda version of human companionship. Actual, uncut, Colombian-grown human companionship will meanwhile become more and more scarce as people are too busy pleasuring themselves to bother.

New hedonism: when people stop giving a shit about not giving a shit about anything.

No comments: